How To Identify A Bee Sting Reaction Quickly

0

Every dog will react different when it is stung by a bee. Some dogs have a little discomfort and will simply howl and itch for a short period, while others could have a severe reaction that could be deadly. The dogs curious nature causes them to get stung mostly on the nose, on the head and in the mouth. If you see your dog get bit by a bee, your first job it to locate and remove the stinger with your fingernails.

The stinger itself is clear, which can make it very hard to locate. Your dog will give you an indication of the location by his itching or by the appearance of redness and swelling. Scrape away the stinger with your fingers. You never want to use a pair of tweezers when removing a bee stinger.

 

If your dog is not allergic to a bee sting, he many have a small reaction to the stinger by way of redness and slight swelling. If he is irritated he will be scratching and biting at the infected area, and maybe howling occasionally at the pain. This reaction means he is not allergic, and many times after you remove the stinger, his discomfort will subside in a short period of time. You want to observe him to make sure his condition does not change.

 

The next type of bee sting reaction is a little more serious. You may begin to see your dog become weak, and the swelling and redness increase. If you were unable to remove the stinger, and your dog is showing signs of pain, you need to contact your veterinarian hospital and make arrangements to get him there as soon as possible. Place an ice pack on the infected area and get him in the car. He may be showing the initial signs of an allergic reaction and needs to be treated by a professional to ease his pain and remove the stinger that is still pumping venom into his body.

The most severe reaction to a bee sting in a dog is when they begin to have difficulty breathing, start trembling, have diarrhea, start vomiting and possibly faint. These are all symptoms of your dog experiencing anaphylactic shock, and if left untreated can kill your dog in under fifteen minutes. This is why quick observation of his reactions and contact with a doctor are vital early on, it could save your dogs life. Your veterinarian will be able to administer treatment to help with the dogs pain and then keep him overnight for observation. If your dog shows any of these dog bee sting reaction signs, the most important thing you can do is remain calm, and move him to the car as quickly as possible while you contact the doctor on the drive there. Every minute is important if your dog has severe reactions to a bee sting.



Share.

Comments are closed.