Your puppy is brand new to the world and is a bundle of energy. Most times they run around the backyard or park investigating everything new in their little world. This curiosity can sometimes get them into trouble. Your puppy is not aware that a fly and a bee sting differently, and many times they simply are playing when they jump into a bush or plant to see what all that buzzing is about. The louder the buzz, the more your puppy wants to see what is going on. Then when you hear that familiar yelping, you know his little nose got too close to a bee and resulted in him getting bitten. A puppy bee sting is a serious matter, and here are a few symptoms and treatments you can administer immediately to help with his pain.
Your puppy has not yet experienced many of the things that can do him harm, and you are not sure if he is even allergic to a bee sting. You have to watch him very closely during these first few minutes. He doesn’t understand why he is hurting, he is crying, and you may be crying too. Locating the area of the sting and removing it is crucial right now. Your puppy is so tiny, and the venom will affect his little body much faster than had a full grown dog gotten bitten. That means if he does have an allergic reaction, it is going to happen quickly. Contacting your veterinarian hospital either way is a safe bet. The minutes you are locating and removing the stinger are critical.
It is normal if your puppy continues to cry in pain, even after the stinger is removed. If he begins to stop crying and has trouble breathing, has a seizure, begins to vomit, begins to urinate uncontrollably, or faints, you need to be on the way to the hospital because he is having a severe allergic reaction. His body is so small, and the venom works very quickly at bringing on these symptoms. A drive to the doctor is a safe bet if even you suspect only one of these symptoms.
If your puppy is irritated, but does not show signs he is allergic, you need to apply cold treatments to the affected area as soon as possible. Gently holding your puppy in one arm while you apply a compress or solution to the area works best. You want to comfort your puppy and pay close attention to him at the same time. You can better understand his breathing, his crying and his overall mental health while he is in your arms. A puppy bee sting is a new experience for him, and he will heal much better if he feels and hears you comforting him. Puppies react to bee stings many different ways, and if your puppy is only irritated, then giving him extra love will go a long way in his recovery.